Unit-1 Sub point-B
Note: Here i place the reading material of the topic taught by Amita Unnikrishnan Madam.
Kindly go through this for the external exmanitation.
A] Aims and objectives of teaching English at secondary level
The following are the main objectives of teaching English at secondary level.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of Grammar.
- To develop abilities to make use of the grammar in own writing English.
- To understand the meaning of English passage.
- To develop interest in reading English passages/ literatures.
- To develop self study habit.
- To enhance competencies in writing essays and gist of the passage in own words/ language.
- To develop their insight and favorable attitude towards English language.
- To developing the understanding about rules of grammar and their use in writing English.
B] Aims and objectives of teaching English at Higher secondary level
- Motivate students for more studying English language.
- To encourage for composing poems and writing essay.
- To develop the ability for grasping the theme of poem or English passage.
- To encourage the students for writing the meaning or theme of poem or passage in their own words.
- To develop the ability of appreciation of ideas and criticizing the thinking.
- To develop the creativity of the students related to verbal ability and reasoning or fluency of language.
- To develop the ability of understanding of other school subjects.
- To develop the mastery of language for expressing his ideas, feelings and experiences.
- To develop the ability of evaluation and analysis of language components.
- To develop the values, moral and character of the students.
- Introduction of aim
The aims of education are not achieved through the study of a subject or two or in a day or a month. Education is a life-long process and it includes the entire spectrum of subjects taught in educational institution through formal as well as non-formal education. The study of all the subjects contribute to the achievement of aims of education and therefore in any scheme of teaching a subject it aims and objectives are of prime
The teacher must know the aims of teaching a particular subject and to do full justice to it is his responsibility. The teacher who does not know the aims of teaching his subject does not what he is doing and also does not realize why he is doing, or the purpose of doing it. And hence the knowledge of the aims of teaching a subject is of paramount importance for the teacher. He must know what he is trying achieve, decide whether the procedure that he follows in the classroom or the method that he adopts and the devices that he resorts to are proper or not .p.gurrey ,”The aim should usually be decided upon when beginning to prepare a lesson”
1] Objectives of teaching English
Dr .b. s. bloom-“educational objectives are the desired goal or outcome at which instruction is aimed”
Objectives means have a purpose for very short time where as aim is achieved with a longer time.
2] Characteristics of good objectives
- Objectives should be based on psychological principle.
- They should be according to the content of the teaching.
- They should fulfill the needs and interests of students.
- They should be according to the age and mental level of the students.
- They should be helpful in changing the behaviour of students.
3] Objectives of teaching English
The objectives of teaching English in
must be quite different from those which are considered necessary for an English child. L.A.C. strong one said ,” For us who speak it English , English is everything, English is what we say and what we think. English is our relationship to other people, our friendship, our truth, and untruth our character, English is not a subject, English is our life.” But this is not true for us in India , because the main aim of teaching should be to help children to get practical command of English. So that it may be useful to them in everyday life. India
Types of objectives –
There are two types of objectives of English teaching. They are
1] Language development -
2] Literary development -
1] Language aim –
The primary aim at initial level language decides the personality of individual a mirror which reflects knowledge to develop language skills L.S.R.W
Four aspects of language
Semantics – related to understanding.(Listening)
Phonetics- deals with sound, spelling and pronunciation. (Speaking)
Phonetic cum graphic-(Reading Skill)
Graphic: (Writing Skills)
Note: Prepare 5 to 6 objectives of teaching all these above four language skills. You may be asked to prepare objectives to teach LSRW.